Panchakarma is the procedure in which the vitiated Doshas are expelled out of the body through the nearest route.
Word Panchakarma is made of two words : Pancha and Karma.
Pancha : 5
Karma : procedures done to expel vitiated Doshas.
Panchakarma can be administered as Dinacharya, Ruthucharya and Vegavarodhajanya rogas (diseases caused due to retention of natural urges).
The procedure of Panchakarma is broadly divided into Poorva karma, Pradhana karma, and Paschat karma.
To expel the doshas out of the body, doshas have to be in the ripened state. That is achieved by this process. This includes:
This procedure includes
- Vamana karma : process in which vitiated doshas are expelled through the Urdhwabhaga i.e; oral cavity. Best treatment considered for Kaphaja vyadhis.
- Virechana karma : process in which drugs administered acts over the doshas specifically Pitta dosha and expel it through the anal route. Virechana works for both Pitta and Kaphaja disorders.
- Basti karma : any dysfunctions in the body is caused by Vata dosha. Basti karma is the best line of treatment for Vata doshajanya vyadhi. It is considered as the Ardha chikitsa. Major Basti classifications are Anuvasana and Asthapana basti.
- Nasya karma : this procedure plays a major role in the diseases of Urdhwajatrugata vikaras (supra clavicular concerns). Medicine is given through the nasal route. Medicine spreads throughout the Shiras and expels the Doshas.
Due to the Pradhana karma the Agni of the patient is reduced. The patient cannot digest heavy foods. Therefore, Samsarjana karma is followed as Paschat karma.
- Peyadi krama
- Tarpanadi krama and
- Rasa samsarjana
- Improper digestion
- Tiredness without doing any work
- Various skin eruptions
- Ama dosha
To be avoided during panchakarma:
- Speaking loudly
- Excessive walking
- Consumption of food prior to the digestion of previous meals
- Day sleep
- Eating unhealthy food
- Normal functioning of Kosta
- Increase in the Agni
- Alleviation of the disease
- Equilibrium of Doshas
- Restoration of a function of the sense organs, mind
- Strengthens body
- Delayed aging
- Not prone to diseases
Article By :
Ms. Architha J