Pre diabetes is a condition where there is a higher blood sugar levels than the normal. It’s a very common condition now a day’s at the clinics. One of the main reason is sedentary lifestyle with inadequate physical activity and lack of awareness on food quality
Before people develop type 2 diabetes, they almost always have "prediabetes"—blood sugar levels that are higher than normal but not yet high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.
How does Pre Diabetes Occur?
Glucose levels are balanced/controlled with the insulin. Insulin is a hormone which is released by pancreas. After digestion of food, the glucose which is produced from the food enters in to blood stream. Insulin allow the blood sugar to enter the cells and there by the blood glucose reduces. If there is a derangement here then a problem like Pre Diabetes may occur.
• Increased thirst
• Increased hunger
• Frequent urination
• Blurred vision
FBS – 100 to 125 mg/dl
HbA1c – 5.7 to 6.4%
To follow a healthy lifestyle with moderate exercise including Yoga. To be conscious on what to eat and when to eat. Avoid binge eating Avoid sugars, maida/white flour and refined food Yogurt/ curd especially purchased from the market
Management Through Yoga
Yoga helps in prevention and management of prediabetes by lifestyle change (diet, exercise, habits and stress reduction). Through mind management, yoga helps in several ways:
1. Maintains normal blood glucose (fasting and post meal).
2. Normalizes weight and BMI levels.
3. Reduces HbA1C, bad cholesterol and need for diabetes medication
4. Increases good cholesterol, nerve conduction velocity.
5. Reduces high blood pressure and improves cardiac pumping efficiency even after bypass surgery.
6. This works by reducing stress levels as indicated by reduced blood levels of cortisol (stress hormone) and inflammatory markers.
Yoga should become a part of our daily life. Asanas, Pranayama’s, cleansing practices, meditation techniques are important part of yoga.
In daily practice it effects holistically where body and mind both are aligned. Asanas can be beneficial for the prediabetic patients. The important facet of Asanas is stability and they relax the body for long time.
Pranayama practices such as Bhastrika, Bhramari and Nadishodhana helps to calm down our nervous system and thus helps in diabetes treatment.
Bhastrika helps increasing oxygen level and thus it may increase metabolism of glucose in peripheral tissues and liver.
Usefulness of meditation in stress management is well proven by modern research. Mindfulness techniques can be helpful in treatment of diabetes.
Bring your awareness to the movements of the abdominal muscles moving up and down as you breathe in and out. Recognize the haphazardness and jerky movement of the abdominal muscles.
Do not manipulate the breathing, let it be natural, simply observe the abdominal movement. Count five rounds mentally, one inhalation and one exhalation forming one round. Continue up to five rounds.
Phase 2: Associate With Breathing
Any 2-3 home remedies with monitoring of blood sugar is very much essential to prevent hypoglycemia and to control high blood sugar.
1. Fenugreek/methi - fenugreek seeds and leaves are act as hypoglycemic and improves glucose tolerance. Soak 1-2 tsp of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Drink water and eat the seeds on empty stomach next morning. Fenugreek leaves can be used as a curry or sambar.
2. Curry leaves - curry leaves increase the carbohydrate metabolism and reduces the oxidative stress. Good to take few leaves by chewing them on the empty stomach. Curry leaf chutney or curry leaf powder can be consumed daily.
3. Cinnamon - Cinnamon powder can be consumed in the form of tea or can use in sambar or soup. Bioactive compounds of cinnamon will help to reduce the blood sugar.
4. Karela/bitter gourd - bitter gourd is having anti-diabetic compounds like charantinn vicine and polypeptide-p. Poly peptide-p act as insulin, all these together brings reduction of glucose in the blood. This can consume in the form of juice, curry or sambar.
5. Garlic, ginger & turmeric - These are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory compounds. Act as hypoglycaemic and controls blood sugar.
6. Barley water – barley is a high-protein and high-fiber diet grain which is very good to control high blood sugar. Need to boil barley with water in open vessel. Drink barley water and have barley rice with vegetable curry.
7. High-fiber Food – increase the intake of high fiber vegetables like carrot, beetroot, broccoli, spinach, beans, ladies finger, onion, capsicum, tomato cabbage, etcetera.
8. Fruits intake – citrus fruits, apple, pear, jamun, berries, guava, avocados, water melon and musk melon can be taken.
3 Things You Must Follow To Avoid or Manage Pre- Diabetes
Physical activity is must to burn the calories and to improve the function of pancreas.
Good sleep to prevent the metabolic imbalance. When the brain is given good rest it heals the body well and therefore balances the hormones
Stress management is essential to maintain the calmness of the nervous system and avoid a trigger of increased blood sugars
Try the tips, stay healthy and if you need help do talk to your Doctor, a holistic practitioner.