Home Remedies For High Blood Sugar
By Dr.Vasudha Sharma | May 04, 2022
High blood sugar or Increased blood glucose is a condition of diabetes which means the blood glucose is higher in our body than the normal. There may be many causes for increasing blood glucose such as stress, disturbed sleep, wrong food habits, lack of physical activity, genetics etc.
To control high blood sugar, there are many home remedies which are very effective in managing blood sugar. Regular use of home remedies can bring down your uncontrolled blood sugar. Diabetic patients must have an awareness of hypoglycemia which is nothing but sudden reduction in blood glucose which causes dizziness, sweating, shivering, imbalance and nervousness. Few home remedies can maintain blood sugar and it is very much essential to prevent hypoglycemia and to control high blood sugar.
Some Simple Home Remedies:
- Fenugreek/Methi – fenugreek seeds and leaves act as hypoglycaemic and improves glucose tolerance. Soak 1-2 tsp of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Drink the water in the morning on an empty stomach and eat the seeds by chewing them well. Fenugreek leaves can be used weekly once or twice as a curry or sambar.
- Curry leaves – Curry leaves increase the carbohydrat e metabolism and reduce the oxidative stress. Good to take a few leaves by chewing them on the empty stomach. Curry leaf chutney or curry leaf powder can be consumed daily.
Chutney recipe: Take 5-6 strands of curry leaves, add 50 gm of fried gram ,50 gm of fresh coconut, 1redchilli, 1/2 inch finger salt and a little tamarind. Add a small quantity of water, grind it to a soft paste and relish with dosa or idli.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon powder can be consumed in the form of tea or can be used in sambar or soup. Bioactive compounds in cinnamon reduce blood sugar. also help lower blood sugar by increasing insulin sensitivity, making insulin more efficient at moving glucose into cells.
Recipe for Cinnamon tea: It is a very tasty beverage and preparation is very simple. Add 1/4 tsp of home ground cinnamon powder to 100 ml water, boil for 3-5 minutes, strain, add a few drops of fresh lemon juice and enjoy your morning tea.
- Karela/bitter gourd – bitter gourd is having anti-diabetic compounds like charantinn vicine and polypeptide-p. Polypeptide-p acts as insulin, all these together brings reduction of glucose in the blood. This can be consumed in the form of juice, curry or sambar.
Healthy juice recipe: Take 1 small karela, 1 tomato and few mint leaves. D- seed the bitter gourd and cut into small cubes and soak in turmeric water for 30 minutes. Slice the tomato as well. Remove the soaked bitter gourd from water and transfer to a juicer/mixer along with tomato. Run the mixer and add a few mint leaves at the end. Add some water to bring the content to juice consistency. Once soft and done, strain and drink.
- Garlic, ginger & turmeric – These are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory compounds. It Acts as hypoglycaemic and controls blood sugar. Intake of garlic pods in the morning, addition of ginger, garlic and turmeric into dishes is very essential.
Turmeric pickle: Take fresh turmeric roots, cut them into small pieces, add some salt and store in a glass container with a lid for 2 days. Open the lid after 2 days and add some red chilli powder, mustard powder and methi powder. Add some boiled and cooled water to help the contents mix. Allow it to be stored in the glass jar for 3 more days. Mix them daily and ensure the freshness of the pickle. Refrigerate to preserve the pickle.
- Barley water – Barley is a high-protein and high-fiber diet grain which is very good to control high blood sugar.
Recipe: Need to boil barley with water in an open vessel. Drink barley water and have barley rice with vegetable curry.
- High-fiber Food – Increase the intake of high fiber vegetables like carrot, beetroot, broccoli, spinach, beans, ladies finger, onion, capsicum and tomato.
- Fruits intake – Citrus fruits, apple, pear, jamun, berries, guava, avocados, water melon and musk melon can be taken.
Home Remedies Must Include lifestyle Remedial Measures Taken From Home
- Regular yoga practice – Physical activity is a must for diabetic patients to burn the calories and to improve the function of the pancreas. Yoga is the best aerobic modality to reduce the blood sugar levels.
- Good sleep – Need to have good sleep to give rest to the physical and mental body.
- Stress management – Stress management is also considered to play a major role in managing blood sugar.
Must Avoid –
- White rice
- Custard apple
Article By :