AutoImmune Diseases and Yoga
By Dr.Vasudha Sharma | Jul 26, 2022
Autoimmune disease is a condition in which our immune system attacks our own body and causes problems. The normal function of our immune system is to fight against the foreign cells and make us free from diseases.
There are many autoimmune diseases including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis – It is form arthritis of small and long joints
- Psoriasis – It is an Inflammatory skin disease.
- Psoriatic arthritis is a type of arthritis mainly affects people with psoriasis.
- Thyroid diseaseincluding Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Graves’ disease. imbalance in the level of thyroid hormones are mainly known as thyroid disease.
- Systematic lupus erythematous – Various systems of our body get disturbed here.
- Myasthenia gravis – Weakness of the musculoskeletal organs due to improper supply of nerve impulses.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) – IBD is Umbrella term used for inflammation of the digestive tract including Ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease
- Diabetes mellitus type-1 – Here beta cells which produce insulin will be affected with our own immune cells and cause increased sugar level in blood.
- Multiple sclerosis – Damage in the nerves of the brain or spinal cord leads to many problems in day to day life.
The common symptoms of autoimmune diseases are Fatigue, abdominal pain and discomfort, small and long joint pain, swelling, itching, digestive issues, recurring fever etcetera.
We need to do some precautionary methods to reduce the severity of the condition and to prevent complications.
- In most of the autoimmune diseases inflammation and pain is so common. Due to severe pain there will be disturbed sleep, stress and difficulties with today’s activities.
- Yoga plays a main role in managing stress and day today activities. It also balances the physical, mental and emotional level.
- Loosening exercise of all joint movement with proper breathing will definitely reduce the stiffness and pain.
- Many studies show that the regular practices of yoga help in reducing inflammation and improves flexibility.
- Yoga postures strengthen the muscles and joints by enhancing the blood circulation.
- Fear of disease (anxiety) is high with the patients of autoimmune disease and this can be handled very well by doing yoga regularly.
- Relaxation techniques and pranayama practice will reduce stress, anxiety and improve the quality of sleep.
- Combination of breathing exercise, asanas, relaxation techniques and pranayama with diet will definitely help in managing auto-immune diseases.
Article By :