Knee pain and yoga therapy
Knee Pain is one of the commonest pains seen especially after 40years of age. The pain interferes in daily activity including walking. The knee joint is made of bone cartilage ligaments when there is a problem with any of this structure pain is seen.
There is a lot of reasons for knee pain.
- Injury to ligament: Usually results due to sudden twisting or so.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: RA is an Inflammatory and autoimmune disorder. Pain is seen in all joints which include knees as well.
- Osteoarthritis: Mainly occur in old age, due to wear and tear in the joints especially in the weight-bearing joint.
Injury to Tendon and cartilage.
Yoga Therapy has shown significant reduction in pain, improved strength, balance and gait. Psychological components such as anxiety are important aspects to be addressed in pain management and yoga does its contribution.
Typical yoga practices consist of,
- Yogic Sukshma Vyayama: These are safe repetitive stretching movements synchronized with breathing that mobilize and strengthens particular muscle and joints.
- Asana: Asana is featured by effortless maintenance in the final posture. Asana is selected suitable for patients who relax and strengthen the knee joints.
- Relaxation Techniques: To relax the whole body.
- Pranayama: The practice of voluntary regulated breathing while the mind is directed to flow of breath to balance the autonomic system.
Article By :
Dr. Shraddha Surathkal