Hatha Yoga, as described in the early yoga Upanishads, is made up of the shatkarmas and is a very precise and systemic science. Shat means 6 and karma means action, and shatkarmas consist of six group of purification practices. Neti is one among them.
Neti : A process of cleaning and purifying the nasal passages.
Practices included in the category are Jala neti and sutra neti.
Jala neti (Nasal cleansing with water):
A special pot called Neti pot. 100 ml luke warm water and 2 pinches of salt.
- Fill neti pot with salt water.
- While breathing through mouth, gently insert the nozzle of pot into one nostril.
- Tilt the neti pot in such a way that water runs into the nostril and ensure the water to pass out through the nostril. When half the water has passed through, remove the nozzle from the nostril.
- Remove the mucus from the nose by gently blowing.
- Same process should be repeated on the other nostril.
- After completion of cleansing of both the nostrils, exhalation as in kapalabathi kriya is a must to remove excess water from nostrils.
- It removes excess mucus dirt from nasal passage and sinuses.
- It helps in relieving allergies.
- It relieves muscular tension of the face.
Article By :
Dr. Shraddha Surathkal