Vamana is one of the Panchakarma procedures. This is considered the best treatment for Kaphaja vyadhis.
Apakva pitta shleshmanam balath urdwam nayethu yath vamanam tadhi vigneyam (Sha.4/8)
This is the procedure that eliminates vitiated doshas Pitta and Kapha forcefully through the oral route ie; Urdwabhaga of body.
This therapy includes :
- Poorva karma
- Pradhana karma
- Paschat karma
Vamana must be performed once the doshas have reached Kosta. Poorva karma is done in the following steps.
Selection of Medicaments
Vamana dravyas (drugs that initiate the act of vomiting)
Vamanopaga dravyas (supportive drugs to the process of vomiting)
Washbasins, Tubs, Measuring glass, Towels, Bowls, Spoons, Gas stove, Vessels.
Preparation of Patient
Deepana, Pachana : Administered to improve the digestive capacity prior to the procedure
Snehana : Internally given as Gritha paana
Externally done in the form of Abhyanga
Softens the vitiated doshas in Srotas.
Swedana : Administered in the form of Bashpa sweda (Steam bath)
Selection of Patient
- The indicated patient is selected
- The fitness of the patient is evaluated
- Vitals are checked
- Previous meals should be digested
- The patient should void the natural urges prior to the procedure
- The patient should be on an empty stomach
- Explain the procedure to the patient
- Take consent from the patient
- Administer like Milk, Sugarcane juice (Ikshu rasa) till the patient feels the drug till the Kanta(throat).
- Administer Vamaka dravya – Madanaphala
- Wait for 1 Muhurtha
- Administer Vamanopaga dravya – Yastimadhu phanta
- Note all the Pradhana vegas (Projectile vomiting)
Symptoms indicating Samyak Lakshanas
- Appearance if sweat
- Discomfort in abdomen
Vamana procedure is continued till the Doshas are eliminated in order Kapha, Pitta and Vata.
Holding the forehead when patient bends to expel vomitus.
Support the body to prevent spams due to forceful vomiting.
Massaging the abdominal muscles to enable effortless vomiting by creating pressure in abdomen.
Due to the procedure of Vamana the digestion capacity is reduced. To stimulate the fire this procedure is followed.
Depending on the number of Pradhana vegas diet is administered. This includes Peya, Vilepi, Mamsa rasa, followed by Normal diet.
- Chronic rhinitis
- Skin disorders (Kusta)
- Acute fever
- Poisonous bites
- Loos of taste
- Kaphaja rogas
- Debilitated individual
- Under weight
- Children, Elderly
- Bleeding disorders
- Heart diseases
- Abdominal pain
- Progressive cataract